Saturday, July 17, 2004

Funerals

I went to a memorial service today.  It's always interesting.  I mean, it's sad and all, but interesting.  I always wonder why services are held as soon as possible after the death.  Maybe it's because the family is all there anyway.  If you have the service that weekend, no one has to make another trip for the service.  Also, if it were allowed by society to have the service (assuming the body was cremated), say, a month later, there would be quite a few people who would never get a service because someone would procrastinate.  I'd hate to go to my grave with that on my conscience. 
 
There was a bring-a-dish reception afterwards.  This is also an interesting phenomenon.  When my grandfather died, I thought it was downright odd that everyone made casseroles and pies in response.  But that's what people do.  I guess it's just that you don't know what to do.  So you make a casserole.  It's better than doing nothing.  
 
Once you get to the gathering place with the food, it's pretty much like any other social occasion, only without the games.  I guess that funeral games just wouldn't be appropriate. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home