Sunday, December 05, 2010

Invisibility

I was just thinking about a conversation I had with my AD/HD coach several years ago. I was telling him how anxiety provoking it was to have to function in the world, feeling that my brain wasn't functioning at the same level as those around me. What he told me has helped me many times over the years, especially when my anxiety issues come back.

"They don't know!" he said. Which here means that, as long as I don't talk about it, chances are they won't figure out that only one side of my brain is working today.

While on one hand, the disadvantage of having an invisible disability is that no one can really tell, and therefore no one makes allowances for it, perhaps it works both ways. There is an advantage in being able to hide your "invisible" disability. Sometimes that's a good thing. It can make life easier in some ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home