Friday, December 16, 2005

Breathing: a Useful Activity

I get this newsletter from Women to Women, it had a link to an interesting article: http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/deepbreathing.asp

It's my guess that shallow breathing is fairly common among ADDers, although I have no evidence to back it up (as usual). This article will explain how important breathing is - breathing deeply is one of the top things that you can do to improve your functioning and it doesn't cost a thing.

The importance of proper breathing is also mentioned in the book, Moving Beyond ADHD, which I am still trying to read all the way through.

Maybe this is one reason that exercise is so beneficial? It gets you breathing! Imagine that by not breathing properly, we are giving ourselves the same health risks (maybe to a lesser degree) that someone with sleep apnea has: increased risk of insulin resistance or type 2 Diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.

It's got to be just as important to breathe properly during the day as it is at night.

So try to notice when you are holding your breath (this happens to me when I feel anxious, and I'm not sure if it's holding my breath that causes me to feel anxious or if feeling anxious causes me to hold my breath), and notice when you are taking shallow breaths. Then try to breathe more deeply!

You know I write half of this blog just so that I have a place to put reminders for myself!

Take Care,

-Jen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home