Thursday, October 28, 2004

I'd Really Love To See You Tonight

Ah, it's finally gone away. I swear it lasted for about 2 weeks this time. Sometimes I'll get a song STUCK in my head and it won't go away no matter how much I hate it. This time it was "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight". I don't know who sings it, or what year it came out, but it just about drove me insane.

Let me share what it's like:

Hello, yeah, it's been awhile.
Not much. How 'bout you?
I'm not sure why I called,
I guess I really just wanted to talk to you.
And I was thinkin' maybe later on
we could get together for awhile.

It's been such a long time and I really do miss your smile.
I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in
and I don't wanna change your life
but there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
and I'd really love to see you tonight.

We could go walkin' through a windy park,
take a drive along the beach
or stay at home and watch TV,
you see it really doesn't matter much to me.

I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in
and I don't wanna change your life
but there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
and I'd really love to see you tonight.

I won't ask for promisesso you don't have to lie.
We've both played that game before,
say I love you then say goodbye.

I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in
and I don't wanna change your life
but there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
and I'd really love to see you tonight. (repeat & fade)

*************

Now you can see why I'm so glad that's over! Not that there's anything really awful about the song. It's just that every time I turned around, I was humming or singing it. It kind of reminds me of when we were moving, all my stuff was packed away, and the only cassette tape I could get to was a single of New Kids On The Block "Hangin Tough." A single! Of New Kids On The Block! You know what? That was probably worse than what I've endured these last two weeks.

I always have music playing in my head. Usually, it just skips around from one song to another, without annoying the heck out of me. This is very common, I gather, among ADD people. If you have yet to experience it, maybe just sing those lyrics a few hundred times. Or you could visit this link: http://www.pediatricneurology.com/sound.htm No wonder we're distracted!

I also have a song that I hum when I'm anxious, presumably to calm myself down. It's called "It Really Doesn't Matter" (from George Michael's "Older" album). When I hear myself humming it, it's sometimes my first cue that something IS the matter.

Well, I guess there isn't much point to this post but there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
and I'd really love to see you tonight.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that song is by england dan and john ford coley; it's from the seventies (my high school years) and yes, it can be annoying.

10:21 PM, December 09, 2004  
Blogger Vector said...

Oh my gosh. I am learning so much about our common gift, through your blogs and articles.

I totally do the music thing, as a matter of fact when i was a teenager (over 15 years ago) I used to think of it as a cd player, my mental cd player, usually i could control it but i think it plays on its own now.. sometimes it gets stuck in the same song or part of a song. :)
I feel one notch less alone in the universe today.
:)
Gen

1:02 PM, January 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog -- I hope you update it someday soon! My AD/HD has been driving me particularly crazy lately, so I've been reading a lot of stuff online to try to get some good suggestions for coping. I stumbled upon Stay With Me Here and just totally cracked up! I felt so much better after reading about your experiences -- particularly the ones involving your seat belt, the car door, etc -- because I could totally relate.

Anyway, regarding the music in our heads -- I always think of it as part of the soundtrack for the movie of my life (of which I am the SUPERSTAH! yeah right LOLOL), although not in a corny way. I realize (after typing and reading the previous line) that it does sound corny, but it really is not my intent. :-D Anyway, I think maybe Ally McBeal had AD/HD, 'cause she always had music in her head! (I don't know where that fits in, but it just came to me, so...)

I'll be checking back in hope that you write again soon!
Aud1

1:16 PM, June 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home